Exchange for Change

Hunting & Gathering


What’s better than hitting the jackpot during a thrifting trip, and finding modish, one-of-a-kind novelties among the endless supply of widgets and doodads? Doing so, all while supporting the local art scene. The cheerfully pink utopia of Woman’s Exchange Inc. provides consignment galore with its vast showroom of clothing, furniture, home decor and more, donating its proceeds to the Arts of Sarasota and Manatee counties as well as awarding more than $8 million in grants and scholarships.

The Exchange is unlike your run-of-the-mill consignment store. For starters, the inventory renews unlike any other. Regulars can attest to the fact that its shelves recirculate and restock on a daily basis, ensuring new merchandise at all times. Each section teems with diverse and eclectic commodity, from kitchenware sets, handcrafted incense burners and stylish room dividers, to intricate Persian rugs, vintage gowns and old books.The volunteers at The Exchange present consignors with three levels for donation opportunities. At the Platinum Level, 100% of the net proceeds of the consignor’s item will go toward the art community, and the students pursuing higher education in the arts through grants and scholarships awarded in June. At Gold Level, 50% of the item’s proceeds go directly to the consignor, with the remaining 50% applying to the grant and scholarship program. And lastly, at the Silver level, 65% of the proceeds is paid to the consignor, with the remaining 35% applying to The Exchange’s program. In addition to the marvelous assortment of goods to rummage through, customers can also look forward to perks of their own; each item in the store is given an initial price, but that price diminishes with time, approximately every 3 to 4 weeks, making habitual visits that much more enticing and worthwhile.

The Woman's Exchange, 539 S Orange Ave, Sarasota, (941) 955-7859.

« View The Thursday Jul 5, 2018 SRQ Daily Edition
« Back To SRQ Daily Archive

Read More

Ringling College Students  Design Pet Toys Sold Locally at DOGPerfect

Ringling College Students Design Pet Toys Sold Locally at DOGPerfect

Sep 29, 2020

Caribbean Splash

Caribbean Splash

Sep 25, 2020

Homegrown Sheep Wool Shorn & Dyed Just in Time for 'Sweater Weather'

Homegrown Sheep's Wool Now Available at Grove Ladder

Brittany Mattie | Sep 25, 2020

Chunky Cherishables

Chunky Cherishables

Sep 18, 2020